What are the differences between knitting fabrics and woven fabrics?
2015-09-10 11:36 | writer: admin
Because of different manufacturing method, knitting fabric and woven fabric got their own features in processing technic, cloth cover structure, fabric characteristics, product application, here are some compares in the following:
1. Form of fabric weave: ① knitting fabric: it is a fabric that made up with sequential yarns bent into the intermeshing loops, and the course of yarn bending could be horizontal or vertical, horizontal knitting called weft-knitted fabrics and vertical knitting called warp knitted fabric. ② woven fabric: it is a fabric which weave with two/two sets orthogonal yarns into 90 degree interweaved crossing, the vertical yarn called wrap yarn and the horizontal yarn called weft yarn.
2. Fabric texture basic unit: ① knitting fabric: loops are basic minimum basic unit, and loops is composed by needle loops and underlaps. ② woven fabric: every cross point between wrap yarn and weft yarn called interlacing, which is the minimum basic unit.
3. Fabric texture speciality: ① knitting fabric: because loops are yarns bending in the space, while every loop is composed by one single yarn, when fabric got the extraneous stretch, for example if there is a longitudinal stretch, that will make the loop bending changed and the loop height increases, and the loop width decreases. If the stretch is transverse , situation will be opposite, the height and width of loop can be converted for different stretches, so knitting fabric got a great ductility. ② woven fabric: For the reason that there is a bend at crossing of wrap yarn and weft yarn, and it only bend in the perpendicular direction to the fabric surface, its bending degree is related to mutual tension between wrap yarn and weft yarn and yarn rigidity, when there is a extraneous stretch comes to woven fabric, for example a longitudinal stretch, the wrap yarn tension increases and bending decreases, while weft yarn bending increases, if the longitudinal stretch continue, until the wrap yarn unbend completely, and the fabric shows transverse shrinkage in the same time. When there is a extraneous horizontal stretch comes to woven fabric, the weft yarn tension increases and bending decreases, while wrap yarn bending increases, if the horizontal stretch continue, until the weft yarn unbend completely, and the fabric shows longitudinal shrinkage in the same time. While wrap yarn and weft yarn won’t convert, which different from knitting fabric.
4. Fabric texture characteristics: ① knitting fabric: it can be extend to all directions, good elasticity, for it is composed of porous loop, so it got a good breathability and soft hand feeling. ② woven fabric: Because the wrap/weft yarn extensibility is not much related to shrinkage, and it do not convert, so generally the fabric is tight and stiff.
5. Fabric texture physical and mechanical properties: ① knitting fabric: fabric physical and mechanical properties, including wale, course, grams per square meter, extensibility, elasticity, breaking strength, abrasion resistance, edge-curling, thickness, raveling property, shrinkage, spreadability, volume density. ② woven fabric: fabric physical and mechanical properties, including wrap count and weft count, selvage, the obverse and the reverse, forward/backward hair direction, fabric coverage.