Australian Standard AS/NZS 4602:1999 High Visibility Safety Garments
2015-07-22 08:55 | writer: admin
Classification of Garments
The garments specified in AS/NZS 4602:1999 High Visibility Safety Garments are classified into one of the following:
• Class D: a garment designed for outdoor daytime use only, comprising fluorescent or other non-retro reflective high visibility material.
• Class N:a garment designed for night-time use only, comprising retro reflective elements on an unspecified background.
• Class D/N:a garment designed for both and night use, comprising retro reflective elements on a fluorescent or other non-retro reflective high visibility background material.
Class D Garments
These garments are intended to provide the wearer with high visibility under daylight viewing conditions in outdoor situations.
• Fluorescent materialsshall be made from materials that meet the requirements of Class F in AS/NZS 1906.4-1997. Colors are normally red-orange or lime yellow.
• Non-fluorescent materials.Where safety requirements require a garment to be made from a material which is not capable of taking a fluorescent pigment e.g. certain natural fibers, a non-fluorescent color as specified in AS/NZS 1906.4:1997 may be used in lieu.
• Garment design – Class Dgarments shall comprise a garment or combination of garments of any desired type or style which as a minimum encircles the upper torso. These shall be a minimum visible area of 0.4m2 of material meeting the requirements of either fluorescent or non-fluorescent materials.
•Retro reflective Materials– Not required for this class.
Class N Garments
These garments are intended to provide the wearer with high visibility at night when viewed under retro reflected light, such as by drivers of vehicles using headlight illumination. The color of the background is not specified.
•Retro reflective materials used on Class N garments shall meet the requirements for Class R material specified in AS/NZS 1906.4:1997. Material strips must not be less than 50mm wide to at least the minimum patterns specified. See diagrams below. Retro reflective patches, words, symbols and the like shall be regarded as additional to, and not replacing, the specified patterns of retro reflective strips.
• Garment design – Class N garments shall comprise a garment or combination of garments of any desired type or style which as a minimum encircles the upper torso down to the waist level. Strips of retro reflective material shall be applied as specified below.
Class D/N Garments
These garments are intended to provide the wearer with high visibility under both daylight and night-time viewing under retro reflected light. These garments combine the requirements of both Class D andN.